About

Policy Studies 1

Why Should You Take PAF 101?

PAF 101: An Introduction to the Analysis of Public Policy is unlike any introductory course offered on campus. Students learn how to Do Good and Do Well through outside speakers, debates, group exercises and technical report writing. You will gain critical job skills that top employers are looking for. On top of all of that? You will not be bored. Students enjoy interacting with Professor Coplin and not being lectured to for 55 minutes.

PAF 101 is the introductory course to the Policy Studies Major, an elite program at Syracuse University. Year after year, Policy Studies Majors win the most Remembrance Scholarships, are actively recruited by JP Morgan Chase, General Electric, and Ernst and Young and work for some of the nation’s largest nonprofits. Teach for America also accepts more students from the Policy Studies Majors than any other major on campus.

Still unsure why you should take PAF 101 or join the Policy Studies Major? Read some of the testimonials from successful alums:

Steve Canale – GE Manager Recruiting and Staffing
“Over the years GE has hired some excellent Policy Studies majors from Syracuse into our 2 year rotational training programs in both Finance and Communications. The students also possessed minors in complementary areas of study that allowed them a basic foundation in the area of discipline that we normally recruit. A winning combination.”

Chancellor Kent Syverud – Chancellor and President of Syracuse University, in a letter to all University students, faculty and staff dated February 3, 2017 writes:

“I have seen Bill teach. He knows his students. He demands a lot of them, but that is because he sees extraordinary promise that others may overlook. He relentlessly advocates for his students, including persuading me to deploy them in my negotiation classes as assistants and to recommend them for jobs and careers. He on occasion (surprise) quietly manifests a healthy disdain for administrators. And he is a treasure to this University and our students.

I can’t travel anywhere in the United States or the world without an alumnus coming up to me and thanking me for Bill Coplin. I wish I could reply that I hired him. Instead, I say that I am on the lookout for teachers like him.”

Cathryn J. Sitterding ’07 – Fleishman-Hillard Government Relations, Homeland Security Practice Group    

PAF 101 was the first class I took that really opened my eyes to something besides journalism as a possible career. In Coplin’s class, I learned that one person can make a huge difference if they just get up and do it. I grew up in rural Indiana and basically had no idea of the severity of some societal problems. Throwing us into the city and into community service was difficult at first but I can’t imagine what my academic life would be like without that experience. That’s where you learn things, right out in the middle of it.